Although NOT historically registered, this 150 year old "historic" landmark of the Travilah/Potomac community has been preserved by the the owner from 25 years of neglect and decay. The house, built in 1870, is now a complete shell with all elements visible to a contractor or architect. The interior has been gutted and most of the original floors saved as well as the banister. The exterior is renovated, the windows are new, the new roof is slate and metal, the overgrown lot and out buildings have been cleaned up and everything is environmentally healthy. It is now ready for a new owner to imagine and create a new purpose for this charming original homestead at the corner of Glen and Travilah Roads. Just a short distance from the new Glenstone Museum and Greenbriar Park. Many will recognize it from the distinctive 15 foot tall Eagle which was carved from an old tree stump on the Travilah Rd. side of the property. The house is zoned RE-2 and can be used as a residence or many other residential/commercial uses allowable per county code, for example: Antique Store, Country Inn, Church, Veterinary Office, Day Care, Medical Clinic. Please see the expanded list under the documents tab. The lot is technically a Parcel and not a recorded lot. The Parcel predates the County Subdivision Ordinance, and if used as a residence, does not need to be recorded as a Lot. A building permit has been filed as a cultural institution (museum). A full set of drawings is available. The white house that you see was constructed in 1870 around a structure built in the early 1800's which was attached to a log cabin of unknown age, but probably built in the late 1700's. The log cabin was burned during the civil war, leaving the pegged frame structure (no nails) of the addition still standing. Not having modern tools of today, after the civil war ended the builders used the still standing old frame and built the current structure around and over the old structure. The back portion of the house has a portion of floor still using the old log structure where the original cabin sat and includes an old root cellar. The owner left the old roof of the old frame structure visible from the inside on the second floor. One of the out buildings may be one of the oldest outhouses in the area and still features the commode. Shown by appointment only. Do not walk the property without an appointment.
Search powered by
© Bright MLS. All rights reserved.
Listings provided by Bright MLS from various brokers who participate in IDX (Internet Data Exchange). Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.